Sunday 31 May 2020

determination and faith

"Hussain! Wake up! You are late for school again!" his mother yelled from the kitchen. Hussain jumped up with a start and looked at the clock. There were 9 minutes before the bus arrived. He got ready in ten minutes, rushed outside and saw the bus going away in the distance. "Oh no! I have to run to school again for the umpteenth time," he thought.

He sprinted to the school at a rapid pace and reached just before the main gates closed. "Thank goodness I ran fast, or I would have got a tardy again," he said to himself.

At break time, he opened his bag to take out his lunch box, but what is this? "Oh no! I forgot lunch at home again!" he groaned. He was feeling ravenous but what could he do? "Hussain? Forgot lunch again?" his friend Javed, chanted. "Yes," he replied. "Well, Abdullah of grade 10 has brought extra lunch. Why don't you ask him?" Javed suggested.

Hussain approached Abdullah, "Can you please give me some of your extra lunch? I left mine at home" he said. "Only if you beat me in a race" Abdullah smirked. "But you are bigger than me and quite fast" Hussain exclaimed. "It's up to you" Abdullah shrugged. "Ok, I'll race" Hussain decided.

"3, 2, 1, GO!" The race kicked off. Ahmed was leading by quite a distance, Hussain was losing! "If I lose I will have to study with an empty stomach," he thought. He urged himself forward and put a burst of speed. He overtook Abdullah like a lightning bolt. "Yes, yes! I won!" Hussain yelled triumphantly. "Only because I got cramps," Abdullah said. Nonetheless, he handed Hussain half of his lunch. Hussain quickly gobbled it down and then returned to his class.

11 years later, Hussain was in college. He was studying hard and finally graduated. Despite studying, his real ambition was to become a sprinter. People laughed at him and said that he would never win a street race let alone become a professional sprinter. But Hussain held firm.

He went home after the graduation ceremony and announced to his mother that he was going to drop all studies and become a sprinter. His mother supported him and gave him all the confidence in himself she could muster.

Hussain started training day and night; his faith in his abilities unwavering; his mother's support unshakable. Finally, after 6 long months of grueling training and consistent hard work, he applied for the National Championships. To his astonishment and delight, he was accepted immediately. His mother was overjoyed and happy for her son as his dreams were coming true. Hussain, on the other hand, was having negative thoughts: "was he good enough? Would he win or would he be humiliated in front of the whole nation?" His mother comforted him and supported him with all her might.

Finally, the day of the Championships arrived. The race was about to begin. "3, 2, 1, BANG!" The race started, Hussain was trailing in the back. "If I don't do this I will disgrace myself and my mother will be ashamed of me," he thought. "Come on! You can do this!" he assured himself. He dug his heels into the track and propelled himself forward like a jet. He came first! Hussain couldn't believe his eyes as he saw himself on the leaderboard. His dream had come true! He had proved everyone who had doubted him wrong! But there was still one more step left. The most toughest and competitive platform in the world, the Olympics.

After training tirelessly for 4 months, pushing himself beyond his limits, he was ready for the Olympics. He applied for the 100-meter sprint and was accepted! He was overjoyed and happy. But there still remained a lingering doubt of failure.

It was the day of the Olympics. Hussain warmed up. He could see his mother from the sidelines giving him an encouraging thumbs-up. "What if I lose or even worse, what if I stumble and fall?" he thought. "I have to get in the top 3 as I may never get this chance again," he said to himself. He visioned his name on the bottom of the scoreboard. He shook himself. "Come on! You have been preparing for this day for months, you can not lose hope again. Your mother and even other people are depending on you.

"On your marks! Get set! Bang!" the race got underway. True to his word he flew like a rocket from start to finish and came first! Not only had he won, but he had also set a new 100-meter sprint world record. He ran to his mother and hugged her. "I won only because of your support and faith in me mother" he whispered in her ear. 

Hussain learned a lesson that day that determination and hard work can achieve anything in the world. And it all started with being late for school again!







1 comment: